Millburn Fire Dept. Offers Summer Grilling Tips
The Fire Department offers safety tips for preventing fires this summer while grilling.
Dirty grills and loose, faulty propane connections are the most common cause of summer fires in Millburn and Short Hills, according the fire department.
“Some are just grease fires,” said Battalion Chief Ed Wade. “People cook on it and the grease [from the dirty grill] gets hot and ignites. Some can be propane fires caused by wear and tear or mechanical failure.”
Wade said that people should clean their grills after every use and inspect them or have a professional inspect them at the beginning of each season. Making sure the connections to the propane tank are tight and that there are no leaks is also important. He also said that grills should never be operated on a deck or too near a house.
“[Grills] should be 15 – 25 feet away from structures,” said Wade, “or as far away from their house as they can get it [if they don’t have enough room].”
The Millburn Fire Department responds to approximately four calls a day. Though there has been just one minor house fire this summer, the fire department has already responded to several grease fires.
Wade said the department is available to service or advise residents on appliances they believe to be fire hazards.
In spite of the dangers of summer fires, Wade said that autumn is typically the busier time for the fire department.
“When it’s a bit colder out people start using fire places and heat comes on for the first time,” he said. “People start using fire places or heating systems that are old or haven’t been checked in a while. It’s not as frequent as it used to be, but they still occur. We don’t really have a slow season, though.”