Top 10 New Businesses of 2010
From downtown eateries to a "little" gym, 2010 brought many new businesses to Summit.
We talked about the economy, the recession and the effect all that had on downtown Summit in 2010. But despite all that, Summit Patch recognized the opening of more than a few new business in the Central Retail Business District and beyond. Here's our list of the top 10 new businesses from 2010:
10. House of Audio: Who wouldn't love a home theater system? The owners of House of Audio aim to make technolgy simple and easy to use in your everyday life. And hey, they leave the TV on in the window 24/7 which makes it easy for this editor to catch CNN when she's on the run!
9. Jay's Shoe Box: This might be one of the most creative uses of spaces we've ever seen: a shoe store inside a show store! Not onyl that but Jay's carries some of the most popular and adorable brands in children's footwear.
8. Manhattan Bagel: This bagel and coffee shop has been open for almost a full year already and we still haven't decided what our favorite bagel flavor is. Manhattan also has some pretty intense cream cheese choices, too. Forget the fact that it's right next to Dunkin Donuts, this store has become extremely popular on Sunday mornings.
7. Summit Health Shoppe: This Springfield Avenue addition goes way beyond the retail experience. Not only does it stock vitamins and other health supplements, but you can take classess and experience lectures.
6. Lululemon: Not only The Bar Method explode int he last 12 months but it seems like Lululemon goes hand-in-hand with this new movement in town. Not only that, both stores have been extremely generous giving back to the community.
5. Bella Ro: This new boutique clothing story for women has also become very popular this year. The owners of Bella helped us find out what the hot back-to-school trends were in September and was also a good bet for holiday gifts for the lovelt ladies in your life.
4. Jennifer Salzman: Summit got something it didn't have in 2010: a bridal gown store! Salzman, who lives in Summit, opened up a 1,000 square foot boutique in the Strand Mall. This bridal designer does a lot of custom work for clients and offers brides a variety of modern, yet classic styles.
3. The Little Gym: This new business opened outside the CRBD but was a highly anticipated addition to town. The Little Gym is more than a gym though. In addition to teaching kids motor skills, balance, coordination and strength, it also aims to improve kids' social skills.
2. Antonio's Pizzeria: We at Summit Patch got more e-mails about this pizzeria re-opening under new owners than almost anything else this entire year! The family who owned the famed Luigi's in Summit is back and has taken over Antonio's on Morris Avenue.
1. Honey Browns: No question about it, when a new restaurant opens in town people take notice. And the owners of Honey Browns already own one well-loved establishment in town. Honey Browns is nothing like Bona Vita, however and offers something Summit probably never thought it could have: southern comfort.
Here are some other businessess that opened in 2010 that we are grateful to have here in Summit: