The Summit High School Forensics team won several awards at the Harvard Speech and Debate Tournament Feb 15-17.
Forty-four SHS speakers, actors, and debaters competed in the largest tournament in the country, that included over 3,000 students from 361 schools representing 38 states.
Summit team has competed in seven New Jersey tournaments and three national
tournaments this season bringing home four first place and 3 second place
sweepstakes trophies and over 100 individual awards, ranking the team among the
top three speech and debate teams in the state.
Students who won top awards in the Final Rounds at Harvard include:
- Drew Schwendiman won second place in Original Oratory in a field of over 400 orators.
- Greg Archer and Allison Scott placed third in Duo Interpretation out of 176 teams. This was Greg and Allison's second year to perform in the final round at Harvard. The team also placed 6th at the NFL National Tournament last June.
- Keenan Buckley won fifth place in Dramatic Interpretation out of 420 entries.
Students who advanced to elimination rounds:
Caroline Wohl and Jeff Berkowitz -Junior Varsity Debate
- Sean McManus and Keegan McManus-Duo Interpretation
- Anne Borzner and Matt Wilson-Duo Interpretation
- Sean McManus-Humorous Interpretation
- Nick Ritter and Phoebe Li-JV Public Forum Debate
- Surina Gupta-Original Oratory
- Drew Schwendiman-Dramatic Interpretation
Rachel Schwartz and Sukrut Sonty-JV Public Forum Debate