Diamond Pet Foods has expanded a voluntary recall to include batches of nine brands of dry pet food formulas manufactured between Dec. 9, 2011 and April 7, 2012 due to potential Salmonella contamination.
A local reader asked about the recall, so Patch is providing this information from the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA). You can sign up for recall alerts from the FDA online, or subscribe to an RSS feed from the administration.
April 2012, Diamond Pet Foods initiated three voluntary recalls of Diamond manufactured dry dog food. Although none of the additional products being recalled have tested positive for Salmonella, the company is pulling them from store shelves as a precaution.
The company stated: “We have taken corrective actions at our Gaston, S.C., facility and voluntarily expanded the recall out of concern for our customers and their pets.”
Brands included in the recall include:
- Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul
- Country Value
- Diamond Naturals
- Premium Edge
- Taste of the Wild
- Kirkland Signature Products (see separate recall information below)
Consumers should check the production codes on the back of bags to see if their products are part of the recall. Packages that have a number “2” or a “3” in the ninth position AND an “X” in the tenth or eleventh position have been recalled. The 'best-before' dates for the recalled brands listed above are Dec. 9, 2012 through April 7, 2013.
The Kirkland Signature products included in the recall include:
- Kirkland Signature Super Premium Adult Dog Lamb, Rice & Vegetable Formula
- Kirkland Signature Super Premium Adult Dog Chicken, Rice & Vegetable Formula
- Kirkland Signature Super Premium Mature Dog Chicken, Rice & Egg Formula
- Kirkland Signature Super Premium Healthy Weight Dog Formulated with Chicken & Vegetables
- Kirkland Signature Super Premium Maintenance Cat Chicken & Rice Formula
- Kirkland Signature Super Premium Healthy Weight Cat Formula
- Kirkland Signature Nature’s Domain Salmon Meal & Sweet Potato Formula for Dogs
To determine if your pet food is recalled check the production codes on the back of bags. Packages must have both a number “3” in the ninth position AND an “X” in the eleventh position. The 'best-before' dates for the recalled brands listed are Dec. 9, 2012 through Jan. 31, 2013.
Pet owners who are unsure if the product they purchased is included in the recall or those desiring a replacement product or a refund should contact Diamond Pet Foods at 1-866-918-8756, Monday through Sunday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. EST. Consumers may visit the website for more information. The company is working with distributors and retailers to ensure all affected products are removed from the shelves.