Summit Patch gives you a look at news and events in the week ahead. For more events, be sure to check our calendar and feel free to add your own.
- City offices and Summit Public Schools are closed in honor of President's Day.
- The Summit Environmental Commission meets tonight at 8p.m. at City Hall in the Janet Whitman Room, 2nd. floor.
- There will be a joint meeting between the Summit Board of Education and the Common Council to discuss budget matters. From the Summit Board of Education:
Chris Cotter, city administrator of the City of Summit, and Dr. Nathan Parker, superintendent of the Summit Public Schools, will make presentations at a special joint meeting of the Summit Board of Education and the Summit Common Council. This public meeting will be held on Tuesday, February 21, in Council Chambers at City Hall, 512 Springfield Ave., beginning at 7:30 p.m.
Both Mr. Cotter and Dr. Parker will be discussing the schools’ and the city’s recent achievements and current challenges and looking ahead to the coming year. Also on that date in Council Chambers, beginning at 6 p.m., there will be a meeting of the Board of School Estimate, which will hear a presentation by Dr. Parker and School Business Administrator Louis J. Pepe on the proposed 2012-2013 school budget.
- The Summit Housing Authority meets in the Janet Whitman Room at City Hall at 7p.m.
- The Visual Arts Center's Thursday night salon series hosts Lynne McEniry of the College of Saint Elizabeth for a presentation entitled "Encounters with Beauty through Poetry." According to program notes:
Lynne McEniry will discuss the poets’ visions of beauty as they consider the natural world, visual art, and our human relationships. The connection between a poem’s beauty and concepts of language, line breaks, and metaphor will also be addressed.
- Restaurant week continues! Take out a date to one of Downtown Summit's amazing restaurants.