Being a mom is one of the most thankless jobs in the world. Maid, tutor, chef, chauffeur are just some of the duties in the job description that make even the most intrepid multi-taskers freak out a little bit on their first day.
But the hugs, the kisses, the unconditional love make it all worthwhile. But there are days -- no matter how experienced you are in life in the Mother 'Hood -- when you need someone to share the laughs, the tears, the drama, the doubts. So Patch, with the help of NJ Moms' Guide co-founders Kate Motz and Christina Castro, will provide a forum for questions and answers from your friends and peers in the front car of the emotional roller-coaster.
Q. Working from home is a challenge! What are some tips for being more productive?
New Jersey Moms Guide:
Ah, working at home... conference calls in pajamas, multitasking, being home for your children... differences between work life and home life soon blur. “I can throw some laundry in the wash before I write that proposal.” “I must remember to call that client back right after I make the beds”. Here are some challenges when working at home: unexpected distractions, a lack of structured time, and, especially for moms, a loss of identity. Don't give up! By putting a few simple strategies into place, you can be well on your way to being a successful “work from home mom”. Here are 3 simple ideas to help you stay on track.
1. Stay Focused.
Make your ‘home office’ off-limits to family members (especially children) when you're working. Keep all personal paperwork, aka: distractions, (bills and those overdue ‘thank you’ notes) out of sight.
2. Separate Your Space.
Keep a separate work area in your home, and know that when you're in it, you're in "work mode." Make sure your family is aware of this as well.
3. Structure Your Time.
As your business and personal time come together, it's so important to have structure to your day. For example, if you have a regular exercise program you follow, try to do it every day at the same time. Honor that appointment with yourself - even when you're very busy. It will actually help you keep your business on track!
Q. Where are some places I can go to work out that will really be instrumental in losing those last 5 pounds?
New Jersey Moms Guide:
Shedding those last few pounds can be a chore but below are some fun high impact work outs that making staying fit
a simple process.
1) One of the hottest craze to hit the gym circuit is Zumba which combines fitness and fun, using almost every muscle of the body as you shimmy, shake and stomp your way to fit. If you are looking to lose weight Zumba high calorie burning exercises will do the job of taking off pounds and inches. You can dance your way to fitness at Dancers Pointe, Westfield, NJ.
2) How about combining Zumba fitness with the Curves circuit? The class mixes the moves of Zumba with the proven strength of training of Curves for an effective workout. You'll tone up and burn hundreds of calories. You can drop one whole size in ten days. Curves circuit classes are offered in Westfield, NJ.
3) Breathe Fitness in Mountainside, NJ offers Bar Sculpt: A strength and flexibility class incorporating principles of Pilates, Yoga, and the Lotte Berke Method approach to total conditioning
4) The Bar Method incorporates Pilates, Yoga and ballet all in one hour. You can get a great work out at The Bar Method Studio in Summit, NJ.
Q. Where are places in Union County that offer babysitting programs where I can take my children and also work out?
New Jersey Moms Guide:
Making exercise a priority is a challenge for everyone. And for parents it can be especially difficult to find time to workout with children in tow! But moms don’t despair there are some great places in Union County where you can get your workout and bring your child to their childcare services.
1) YMCA: Address: 170 Elm Street Westfield, NJ 07090 Phone: 908-654-8460
The Kids Club Room:
Monday – Friday: 8:30am-2:30pm
Reservations are required. Cost and length of childcare services depends on membership level. Please visit website for details.
2) Lifetime Fitness: Address: 25 Connell Drive Berkeley Heights, NJ 07922 Phone: (908) 665-5911
Their child center is a safe, active environment supervised by certified professionals offering fitness fun, storytime, bubbles, games and so much more. The Child Center is available Monday – Friday and you can drop off your child for 2 hours for each child. Reservations are required for infants 3 months - steady walkers. If they are older no reservations required. Cost: $10/month per child.
3) Bally Total Fitness: Address: 99 US Highway 22 Springfield NJ, 07081 Phone: (973) 376-6886
Monday – Thursday: 9:30am – 12:30pm and from 5:00pm – 9:00pm
Friday: 9:30am – 12:30pm
Saturday: 8:30am – 2:30pm
Sunday: unavailable Reservations are required the day before. Cost: Depends on membership; if One Club Access membership: $3.00. Otherwise free with membership.
4) RWJ Fitness & Wellness Center: Address: 2120 Lamberts Mill Road Scotch Plains, NJ 07076 Phone: (908) 232-6100
Monday - Thursday: 8:30am – 2:00pm and 2:30pm - 8:30pm
Friday: 8:30am – 2:00pm, and 2:30pm- 7:00pm
Saturday: 8:30am - 1:00pm
Sunday: 8:30am - 1:00pm
Reservations are not required. Cost: Free with membership
Q. I hate going to the gym…What are some effective at-home work outs I can do to stay in shape?
New Jersey Moms Guide:
Getting some exercise is important, but you don’t need to go out and join a gym where you pay a large amount in membership fees each month. Use what you have in your house, such as dumbbells, Wii Fit, or if you have stairs you can do a simple workout, whatever you decide on just remember you can work out in the comfort of your home. So just get up and start exercising!
Here are some great DVD “exergames” and DVD workouts that you can try:
1) Zumba fitness for Wii: is an aerobic exercise program that takes into consideration dance as well as aerobic exercise. A fun workout using Latin rhythms.
2) Wii Fit: it’s not just a game; it’s a program designed to get you moving, get you in shape, and get you “Wii Fit”. In addition, the Wii Fit has a charting and graphing feature, to help you keep a detailed log of your progress.
3) EA Sports Active: When your workout is done, you’ll see in-depth graphs and data on all kinds of information from your workout, from the time you spent, to the calories burned, to your heart rate. The system will keep track of your progress each day so you’ll be able to compare today’s workout with all your previous ones.
4) P90X program: If you are looking for a more intense workout try the P90X program which combines cardio workouts, weight and resistance training, yoga, plyometrics, and stretching routines to improve coordination, flexibility, and strength.
5) Leslie Sansone’s walking DVDs: An effective way to: reduce your risk for coronary disease; lower your blood pressure; reduce high cholesterol; get rid of body fat; have better mental well-being; and help you to control your body weight. You walk in place without any complicated movements. It’s a total body conditioning walking exercise.
6) Kettlebells: Used for many exercises and helps develop strength, flexibility, faster recovery, higher grip strength, more power and increased muscle mass. The Kettlebells portability allows you to take them to the gym or any small space that you may want to use to exercise in.
7) Kickboxing: 30 Minutes to Fitness Kickboxing. This kickboxing video has no complicated routines to learn just a powerful combination of routines.
8) Biggest Loser Workout DVD: workout like the biggest loser contestants and with Jillian Michaels.
Whatever program you decide on there is a program for everyone incorporating fun while losing weight and toning and sculpting your body.