Yes, we know–it's not even spring. But in some cases, if summer camp is on the list of things you know your children are going to want to do after school gets out, you'll need to start thinking about it now so you can make the sign-up cutoffs. So, to get your brain thinking about what options you may want to pursue for your family, Patch Picks put together this list. And don't worry: as always, if you don't see something you believe your neighbors would be interested in, you can make sure they can see it by letting us know in the comments box at the bottom of the article.
Patch Picks—Great Camps to Participate in This Summer.
- Summit Area YMCA: The YMCA offers camps for ages 3 to 17, preschool camps, traditional day camp, sports camp, specialty camps, teen camps, teen trek and expedition, and Counselor in Training programs. Extended care and half day camp programs are offered, as well as financial assistance to those families who qualify.
Summer camp begins June 27 and runs through August 26. Special pre camp and post camp weeks will run June 20 to 24 and August 29 to September 1. Visit www.theSAY.org for more information and to download a camp brochure. Camp registration is ongoing either online or in person at the: Summit Y, 67 Maple Street, Summit, 908-273-3330; Berkeley Heights Y, 550 Springfield Avenue, 908-464-8373; Springfield Y, 100 S. Springfield Avenue, 973-467-0838.
- The Visual Arts Center offers a wide variety of summer camps, including some for teens. Check out artcenternj.org for more info.
- Are you ready for a summer adventure? Summer Adventures at Oak Knoll’s 2011 camp season runs from June 27 through August 12, and offers excitement and fun for boys and girls ages 3 - 16. Weekly sign-ups available. Register online at www.oakknoll.org.
- FLASH, the Summit Public Schools summer enrichment program, is an ideal time for students to enrich their lives through a selection of diverse cultural experiences. The selections included are designed to provide new and expanded activities for our students under the tutelage of a fine and experienced staff. Teachers will be assisted by carefully selected high school & college students.
Grade 2-3 students have a set schedule. Their classes are Art, Chorus, Computers, Cooperative Games, and Think. FLASH helpers take the students to each class.
Grade 4-8 students may choose five classes. Past FLASH courses have included Art, Cartooning, Chess, Computers, Cooking, Bead Making, Drama, Instrument Lessons, Music, Newspaper, Photo, Storytelling, Think, Sewing, Woodworking, and Yoga.
- Camp Info Night at The Connection Summit- Tuesday April 5 at 6:30pm. Come and explore the possibilities! Plan now for camp! Don’t get shut out! All are welcome to come for an informative night and learn all about our large selection of camp choices and activities offered at The Connection this summer. Don’t Miss Out…the FIRST summer camp in our beautiful NEW facility! By June, our Expansion Project will be just about complete. Our pool WILL BE OPEN for our campers! Summer Day Camps at The Connection run from June 27 – August 26th, offering nine weekly sessions for girls and boys ages 3 ½ and older. Two new camps have been offered the week of August 22 – 26 including a Traveling Camp. Trips include the Circle Liner and Beast Boat Rides, High Point State Park, Space Odyssey USA, Pirates of The Connection and Newark Bears Baseball Sports camps include Multi-Sports, Soccer camps and Sports Squirts for the younger set. Traditional half day camp, “Summerfun” is for ages 3 ½ -8 and offers daily swim, themed weeks, outdoor games, songs, visitors and arts and crafts. “Lights, Camera, Action”, is a 2 week performing arts camp for boys and girls ages 4 and up with a grand finale showcased for parents. Girls Gymnastics Camp is for ages 4 and up that combines all levels of gymnastics with swim time, outdoor play and arts and crafts. All of the Day Camps at The Connection provide a variety of scheduling options that can create an extended day, such as Sunrisers with early morning drop-off as early as 7:30 a.m., Camp Cool as another afternoon option from 1:00 – 4:30 p.m. and Camper Club until 6:00 p.m. Register for All Day Option from 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., (a morning and an afternoon camp), to receive a fantastic value of $300. For a brochure and registration form, or for more information about the Summer Day Camps and Afternoon Mini-Camps, visit our website at TheConnectionOnline.org, call The Connection at 908-273-4242, or stop by at 79 Maple St. Summit.