.

Electrical Fire Evacuates Chatham Club

There were no injuries, officials say.

Members and employees of The Chatham Club were evacuated at about 2:40 p.m. Friday when an electrical fire broke out.

Keith Vastola of the Green Village Fire Department said they received the call at 2:38 p.m.

"The fire was put out quickly," Vastola said, but the club remained "very, very smoky."

Fire departments from Green Village, Chatham Township, Chatham Borough and Summit responded, along with the Chatham Emergency Squad and Chatham Township Police.

Chris Rutgers, the general manager of the Chatham Club, said this incident was "verry different" from another electric fire which evacuated the club in June. "There were actual explosions ... in the electrical system," Rutgers siad. "We just don't know what the cause was."

Rutgers said the first thing she heard was a "popping."

Vastola and Rutgers said everyone inside the club made it outside safely, and there were no injuries from smoke inhalation.

"I've never experienced anything like this in the 26 years I've been here," Rutgers said.

Emergency personnel remained on the scene as of 4:30 p.m. Friday venting the club of smoke.

A Buck and a Duck! October 21, 2012 at 12:56 AM
Have to give Thanks to Chatham Township first responders and those in the surrounding towns as well their work is greatly appreciated.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »