Leaves, which must be in paper, biodegradable bags and placed curbside, are collected on the same day as regular garbage pick up from residential properties.
In addition to the bagged leaf collection, the Roads Unit will vacuum leaves from the gutters during the fall season. Further, it is forbidden for property owners to rake or blow leaves into piles in the street; these leaves will not be collected.
The city advises that leaves must be curbside for the following reasons:
- Leaves can cause local flooding by clogging catch basins and gutters
- Become slippery when wet which may cause accidents
- If dry, are a fire hazard when in contact with the hot catalytic converters of parked motor vehicles.
- Present a safety hazard to small children who may play in the leaf piles
- On some streets piles can temporarily reduce the width from two lanes one lane, impeding traffic and causing a potential traffic hazard
- A significant increase in taxes would be required for additional personnel and equipment.
- The raking of leaves into the street is prohibited by Revised General Ordinances, 3-12.2.