The held a regular meeting in the gym of Washington Elementary School to talk about:
Extra Day of School: The Board of Education approved a district calendar change that would allow students to complete spring break and be off April 13. Instead, the extra day necessary due to days lost in the October snow storm will move to June.
Contract Negotiations: A tentative teacher contract was completed Feb 29. "There are some legal wrap-ups to do and we will be able to make negotiation results published very soon," said Vice President George Lucaci.
The board will next negotiate with the schools' principals on March 19, but Lucaci said that should go smoothly.
Employee Assistance Program: Board agreed to continue working on an agreement with Cigna HealthCare for a $12,000 Employee Assistance Program for the 2012-2013 school year. Lucaci called it the most important item on the agenda.
In other news:
- The Summit Board of Education with Dr. Nathan Parker, started using a public Twitter account this week: @SummitSupt
- Washington Elementary Principal Lauren Banker presented the Spanish culture club Ole-Ole and also presented the winners of the SITE invention awards.
- It was announced that some teachers are using khanacademy.org in their lessons. The site uses video to teach math and science and was featured on "60 Minutes."
- Board completed first reading of policy 5561 "Use of Physical Restraint" which applies mainly to training for staff who work with special education students.
- Board discussed an outstanding bill of $1,836.74 related to a student claim. The issue was discussed in a closed session because it is a legal matter, according to the superintendent.
- Board approved the February payroll in the amount of $4,113,836.55, which includes custodial overtime for $15,017.33.
- Board of School Estimate, March 27 - 6:30 PM Council Chambers - Summit City Hall
- Workshop Meeting, April 19 - 7:30 PM Wilson School
- Regular Meeting, April 26 - 7:30 PM Jefferson Elementary School