The following schools across New Jersey have gone above and beyond their call of duty to help those touched by the devastating disease of cancer. All of the money raised by these top 10 fundraising schools across the state goes toward advancing the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s (LLS) mission: cure leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin’s disease and myeloma and improve the quality of life of patients & their families.
1. Charles DeWolf Middle School, Old Tappan - $20,531.03
2. Lafayette Street Elementary School, Newark - $10,810
3. Joseph Shaner Elementary School, Mays Landing - $7,396.19
4. J P Case Middle School, Flemington - $6,849.77
5. Jefferson Elementary School, Vauxhall - $6,623.48
6. Henry B. Whitehorne Middle School, Verona - $6,076.54
7. Roosevelt Elementary School, Union City - $5,994.01
8. Schuyler Colfax Middle School, Wayne - $5,497.08
9. Colonia High School, Colonia - $5,224.95
10. Delran Intermediate School, Delran - $5,211.97
Not only did students collect spare change through the Pennies for Patients Program or Olive Garden’s Pasta for Pennies Program, but they held talent shows, taped their teachers to walls, partnered with local businesses, and even shaved their principal’s heads in order to raise money and make a difference in the lives of blood cancer patients and their families.
Upon completion of the Pasta for Pennies Program, Olive Garden provides a celebration for the top fundraising class including pasta, salad, and breadsticks. At the conclusion of the Pennies for Patients Program, the top two classes win a pizza and ice cream party once the school raises $500. Seeing that these schools have far surpassed this $500 goal, it is clear that the students, faculty, and staff at these schools know the importance of helping others and certainly have their hearts in the right place.
For more information on the School & Youth Programs, please visit www.schoolandyouth.org/nj, or contact the New Jersey chapter at (908) 956-6644.
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) is the world's largest voluntary health agency dedicated to the funding of cutting edge treatments for blood cancers.
The LLS mission: Cure leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease and myeloma, and improve the quality of life of patients and their families. LLS funds research around the world creating opportunities for blood cancer cures and therapies and provides free information and support services.