The Summit Summies gymnastics organization had a big weekend at the New Jersey State Championships held May 31 through June 2, winning 180 medals and seeing all four of its teams finish in the top 6. The competition was held a Rutgers University Livingston Recreation Center in Piscataway.
The Summies, an offering of The Connection for Women & Families and a member of the U.S. Association of Independent Gymnastics Clubs, faced off against more than 25 of the best teams in the state, according to a group statement.
Among the team accomplishments:
- The Summies' Bronze team won its first overall state championship in team history.
- Its Copper team, in a tight contest, ended up in 3rd place; less than one point separating the top three teams.
- The Gold and Silver teams finished 5th and 6th, respectively, improving upon their results in prior years.
Individual Summies earned honors as well:
- Bronze team member Devon Degen's 1st place all-around score of 37.025 made her gave her the title of state champion in the 12-year-old age group. She also came in 2nd on beam (9.15) and 3rd on floor (9.4).
- Grace Bauman finished 4th overall with a 36.45, and medaled on all events, including a 2nd on beam (9.15) and 5th on bars with a season-high 9.2.
- Julie Phipps finished 5th overall with a 35.10, winning 3rd on both beam (8.95) and floor (9.2).
- Tess Ostroff won the gold medal on both beam (9.2) and floor (9.25) in the 12-year-old age group.
- Kayleigh Driscoll led the 11-year-old group for the Bronze team, winning 2nd place overall with a 37.00. She also won silver medals on bars (9.4) and beam (9.475).
- Sofia Confalonieri finished 2nd on floor (9.525), 5th overall with a 36.675 and won 4th on vault (9.05).
- Catherine Singow was overall state champion in the 9-year-old group with a 36.325. She also won gold medals on beam (9.325) and bars (9.0).
- Team mate Emily Weisman earned 2nd on beam with a 9.3 and finished 5th overall.
- In the 10 senior group, Margaret Griffith won the title of event champion for the Bronze team with her 1st place finish on beam (9.45).
- Alysia Lopez became state champion on bars at the Gold level with a 9.225 on bars. She also finished 4th overall with a 34.65 in the 12-13 year old age group. She placed on all events, earning 5th on vault (8.475) and 7th on both beam (8.0) and floor (8.95).
- Noa Efron and Abby Claus also competed as event specialists in the Platinum division. Efron earned two gold medals for season-high performances on both beam (8.45) and floor (8.7) while Claus earned a silver medal for her beam with a season-high 8.2.
- In the Silver division, Kiera Little led the Summies, finishing 3rd overall with a season-high 35.975 in the 14-year-old group. She won the gold medal on beam with a season-high 9.0 and won 3rd on vault (9.275), bars (8.65) and floor (9.05).
- Cassie Ippolito won the gold medal on beam with a season-high 9.1 and posted a season high 9.0 on vault.
The Summies next send 15 athletes to compete at the USAIGC National/Internationals Championship in Palm Springs, Calif., from June 24 through July 2. They will compete against the best teams from around the United States, along with international delegations from more than 10 foreign countries.